Monday, February 22, 2010

Hook: not just a Pirate's accessory!

Today, I'm working on my query letter (the letter you send to agents whom you'd like to represent you). I've been working on it for a few months now. I started out by researching query letters (always a good idea). Different agents ask for different stuff and you want to make sure you give them exactly what they ask for.

For instance, the agent I have in mind asks for a 1-2 page synopsis and the first 5-10 pages (or first chapter) of the manuscript along with the query letter. Some ask for outlines, some don't want any of the manuscript, some are okay with a longer synopsis, some only accept queries by snail-mail and some prefer email queries. The point is KNOW WHAT THE AGENT WANTS, AND GIVE IT TO THEM. If you have an agent in mind, read their company profile, query requirements, and blogs. Most of them have blogs that describe best and worst queries ever received (or something equivalent to that). Also, there are some "fake" agents out there who ask for money up front to read your manuscript, or have no qualms about stealing your work. If the agent is part of a reputable company and you've researched them, your chances of not getting screwed over are way better.

Now, I've had my agent picked out for a while. He represents one of my favorite writers, and she has great things to say about him. But, he's a busy guy (as 99.9% of agents are), so my biggest concern has become getting his attention from the hundreds of other writers who query him every week. This requires a hook. Basically, a few sentences that describe your book by emphasizing the parts of the plot that make your book stand out.

This is a daunting task to say the least. You've written a 400-ish page manuscript and edited it so much that it becomes this one entity in your mind. It's impossible to think of one part without touching on the rest. The result is a well thought out, but semi-boring paragraph that barely holds your own interest.

I wish I could put an example up for people to see. I'm someone who learns by example better than spoken directions, but I would hate to post a failed example. Instead, I'll give you the link that a good friend gave me: http://www.deadlinedames.com/?p=416

Also, if my query letter gets the attention of my desired agent, I'll be glad to post it then... but not until then.

Anyway, I think I have my hook written. The reason I say "I think" is because I need to send it to a friend or two to get their opinions. True friends will be totally forthcoming with you and won't sugar-coat their thoughts no matter how much it hurts your feelings. If you don't have any friends like that... get some! It's only because of those friends that I've gotten as far as I have (which might not seem far, but that's not the point). Without those friends, I wouldn't have made it past writer's-block, confidence depravation, or self-esteem plummet. Without those friends, I won't make it past my first rejection letter, and I certainly won't make it far enough to write another book.

So, I'm off to email these friends the query letter I've composed. Once, I have their thoughts, I will edit accordingly and send the letter off. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful Idea - to have others look over submission letters and such. Second opinions and such are also and excellent way to increase your views and reaches. Trusted friends are a jewel in your crown... treat them well and polish them frequently. Of course I would love to critique your writings but as your mother... I am sure my bias would not be a benefit to you. So just know that I am proud as a mother hen with her one chick! Go get 'em Co! You got it!

    ReplyDelete